Monday, August 22, 2011

Birds I've Seen Around Arizona - Red-tailed Hawk

DSC03459 by carmenq55

Today, as I often do, I drove past this roadside attraction -- a painting of a giant baby playing with a life-sized tractor. Usually, I point it out to my kids and they get excited and forget about whatever they were fighting about. A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.

This morning, much to my delight, I saw a GIANT hawk perched atop the baby's head. I was driving at highway speed, and I am terrible at identifying hawks. Still, its dark head and wings and pale belly, together with its large size, suggest that it is a red-tailed hawk. Oh, and the fact that it's probably the most common hawk in North America.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-tailed_Hawk/id

No comments:

Post a Comment